At Private Capital Group, we take tremendous pride in our employees and their successes. We believe it is important to showcase our group of hardworking individuals who are dedicated, committed and driven to providing our clients with the best possible service and care. In this month’s edition of PCG’s Get to Know Us Wednesday, we highlight Amy Miller, one of our astute financial advisors.
Amy was born and raised in Oak Brook, a Chicago suburb, and is a die-hard Bears and Cubs fan. After earning her undergraduate degree from University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, the Cubbie-loving Amy headed to the University of Connecticut for graduate school where she scored her MBA in Finance and found her new home. Now Amy resides in West Hartford with her husband, Marc, and their yellow Labrador puppy, Apollo.
Before joining the team at Private Capital Group in 2014, Amy worked as a financial planner, relationship manager and wealth advisor for Webster Bank. Partnered with her years of experience, Amy delivers unique financial expertise and provides organization and guidance to her clients. PCG’s leading-edge business practices have opened a door to what Amy holds as her favorite part of her job - to know each of her clients well. “One-on-one conversations, listening and learning what is important to each of my clients drives how I help them plan for today and their futures.” People matter. Collaboration directs Amy to put her clients’ money to work for them so that they can enjoy their lives, help others or do whatever they fancy.
Amy’s appreciation for people and their well-beings extends beyond her clients and our office. She is involved with Aurora Foundation for Women and Girls, serving as an active volunteer and former luncheon co-chair. With a rooted belief that education for young women and girls in the Hartford area is a vital component to stabilizing and creating well-adjusted homes and lives as well as thriving communities, Amy engages and is moved to witness it come to life. In addition, she is a participating member and former board member of the Estate and Business Planning Council of Greater Hartford and currently serves as a board member of the Connecticut Women’s Council.
At PCG, Amy has proven time and time again to be an essential part of our team and has consistently demonstrated professionalism and leadership. Amy embodies Private Capital Group’s mission of passion for the client, own your role and always support your team. Her eagerness to always lend a helping hand in the office and devotion to her client helps PCG operate smoothly, effectively and efficiently every day. We cannot wait to see what the future has in store for Amy both at PCG and beyond. If you have not already, we hope you can meet Amy in person and learn a little more about her story when we are able to welcome you back in the office.
If you would like to learn more about Amy, check out her quick-fire questions and answers!
- First and Last Name: Amy Miller
- Nickname: Amy
- Job Title: Financial Advisor
- Birthplace: Oak Brook, Illinois (Chicago suburb)
- Current home: West Hartford, Connecticut
- Education: B.S., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign; MBA, Finance, University of Connecticut
- Family: Husband, Marc, and yellow Lab, Apollo
Expertise and Work Experience
- Professional expertise/specialization: I excel at assisting my clients to get their finances organized and providing ongoing financial advice and guidance, delivering peace of mind that they may live how they want throughout their professional lives and into retirement.
- What did you do before working at PCG? Financial Planner, Relationship Manager and Wealth Advisor for Webster Bank
- Favorite part about working with PCG clients: I love getting to know all of our clients, especially having the opportunity to enjoy one-on-one conversations about what is important to them.
- Why do you enjoy working at PCG? I am supported by exceptional guidance and structure from an awesome team with knowledge and experience, while giving me the independence and flexibility to work with and learn from so many different clients and outside partners.
- Most fond memory while working at PCG: I received a beautiful plant from a colleague when I first started at PCG in 2014. Not described as a green thumb, I managed to care for it and kept it thriving until the pandemic hit and I did not bring it home. I feel awful about that plant and yet excited that I kept it alive for six years!
- Professional Memberships: Active member and former board member of the Estate and Business Planning Council of Greater Hartford; board member of the Connecticut Women’s Council (CWC).
- ALL Designations/Certifications: CFP®, CDFA®, Series 66, Life, Accident & Health Insurance License
- Proudest Accomplishment: Getting my MBA while working full-time; looking back, I am so glad that I did it!
Charity and Organizational Involvement
- Charity Name: Aurora Foundation for Women and Girls
- Level of Involvement: Active volunteer and former luncheon co-chair
- Why is this charity/organization important to you? Volunteering with Aurora has been a rewarding experience. Enthusiastically partaking in fundraisers and witnessing as financial support is delivered to women and girls in the Hartford area to complete their educations is the precursor to these very women stabilizing their homes and adding vibrancy and depth to their communities.
Personality and Other
- Biggest fear: Needles – my blood pressure drops and I feel faint just thinking about them!
- New hobby or activity during stay-at-home: Trying to tire our puppy out every day!
- Favorite type of music: 90s – anything that brings me back to my college years!
- What has COVID-19 made you appreciate most? Definitely spending time with friends and family without restrictions – those were the days!
- Favorite book: I have a ton of favorites, but my all-time is American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld.
- Favorite sports team(s): Chicago Cubs and Da Bears!
- Favorite activity/hobby outside the office: I am an early-morning jogger around the streets of West Hartford.
- Dogs or cats: Dogs
- First job: Working in my mom’s women’s clothing store in Bellwood, Ill.; she made me vacuum and dust every week and I was rewarded with a slice of pizza.
- Dream travel destination: Italy – have never been and would love to go!