At Private Capital Group, we take tremendous pride in our employees and their successes. We believe it is important to showcase our group of hardworking individuals who are dedicated, committed and driven to providing our clients with the best possible service and care. In this month’s edition of PCG’s Get to Know Us Wednesday, we highlight Jared Costigan, our most recent addition to our team and our Associate Wealth Advisor and Financial Planning Analyst.
Born in Shrewsbury, Mass., Jared lived most of his childhood in the state dubbed, “The Spirit of America.” After graduating from Bridgewater State University and a few years in the Boston area, Jared and his then-girlfriend, now-wife, Lauren, moved to Chicago where she attended medical school. A successful stint indeed, but New England drew them home. Just this May, Jared and Lauren married in Massachusetts surrounded by close family and friends, and in June, officially moved back East. Finding their new home in West Hartford, Conn., currently Lauren is in her residency program at Connecticut Children’s Hospital, and we are delighted to welcome Jared to our team, where financial planning is a major focus for many of our clients.
Making a beeline to the world of finance after years in the not-for-profit sector, Jared learned the ropes of the industry as a client services associate at a financial planning firm in the Chicago area. Years spent working alongside several advisors, honing his skills and all the while learning, Jared is fully equipped to deliver the best possible service to our valued clients and work together with them to develop individual, unique financial plans. A big cheer for Jared as he recently completed his CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ program, a well-earned designation for his years of dedicated service and commitment to learn and create plans explicitly designed for clients’ peace of mind. Jared’s warm nature and financial know-how wows us, and we are excited at the prospect of what Jared adds to our PCG team and look forward to your having the opportunity to work with him directly.
Outside of the office, Jared dedicates much of his free time to charities and organizations whose missions align with his - Spark MicroGrants, Friends and Mentors for Change and VITA Tax Preparation. All three organizations offer support to low-resource communities and people in need. Jared’s involvement with MicroGrants afforded him the chance to visit communities in Rwanda for the purpose of leadership development, democratic decision making, and group facilitation trainings. At Friends and Mentors for Change, Jared volunteered as a mentor to high school students in urban areas of Brockton, Mass. He strongly believes that positively influencing and supporting a child or young adult can help make a profound impact on his or her life, especially for those less fortunate. At VITA Tax Preparation, Jared put his skill sets and expertise in financial and tax planning to use to help many with limited resources and funds avoid costly financial and tax mistakes. Jared’s goal is to help produce healthy financial habits for those who have not had accessibility to quality financial education.
If you would like to learn more about Jared, his background and qualifications, involvement in the community, or to welcome him to our team, feel free to reach out! He will be thrilled to meet and greet.
For more interesting info about Jared, check out his quick-fire questions and answers below.
- First and last Name: Jared Costigan
- Job title: Associate Wealth Advisor and Financial Planning Analyst
- Birthplace: Shrewsbury, Mass.
- Current hometown: West Hartford, Conn.
- College graduated: Bridgewater State University
- Family: Wife, Lauren; Dog, Wrigley
Expertise and Work Experience
- Professional expertise/specialization: Education planning, student loans
- What did you do before working at PCG: Client services associate at financial planning firm in the Chicago area
- Favorite Part about working with PCG clients: Learning their goals and aspirations for themselves and their families
- Why do you enjoy working at PCG: A collaborative team environment, kind clients, strong relationships
- Designations/Certifications: CERTIFIED FINANCIAL PLANNER™ (CFP®)
Charity and Organizational Involvement
- Spark MicroGrants – I had the privilege of being a donor and volunteer for Spark MicroGrants. I visited communities in Rwanda, recipients of community microgrants, that were coupled with leadership development, democratic decision making, and group facilitation trainings.
- Friends and Mentors for Change – As a donor and former volunteer for this organization, I believe the power of having a positive role model and mentor can make a profound impact on a child’s life. This organization serves urban high school students in Brockton, Mass., to pair them with one-on-one and group mentoring relationships and community building projects.
- VITA Tax Preparation – Taxes can be confusing, and for low-resource families and individuals to prepare their tax returns, they can be overcharged for services or make mistakes that cost them a lot of money or creates additional challenges. As a financial professional, I find it valuable, important, and rewarding to volunteer my time to share my expertise and encourage healthy financial habits.
Personality and Other
- Biggest fear: Speaking while muted on a Zoom call
- New hobby or activity during stay-at-home: Hammocking
- Favorite type of music: Jazz, Funk, Folk, Afrobeat, Bluegrass – Variety is key, and music always sounds better at a live concert
- What has COVID-19 made you appreciate most: The health of my family, the strength of friendships, and valuing alone time with my wife and my dog
- Favorite book: The Blue Sweater by Jacqueline Novogratz
- Favorite sports team: Red Sox
- Favorite activity/hobby outside the office: Travel, live music, and hiking!
- Dogs or cats: Dogs - especially my four-year-old black lab, Wrigley!
- First job: Bagging groceries at Shaw’s Supermarket
- Dream travel destination: Mozambique, Malawi, and Madagascar (the Southeastern corner of Africa) are the next countries on my list