At Private Capital Group, we take tremendous pride in our employees and their successes. We believe it is important to showcase our group of hardworking individuals who are dedicated, committed and driven to providing our clients with the best possible service and care. In this month’s edition of PCG’s Get to Know Us Wednesday, we highlight Marc Austin, our tenured and accomplished Wealth Advisor.
You’ve heard of Steeler country? It’s the land from where Marc hails, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, before his family moved to nearby Newington, Connecticut, when he was a child. A move to a different state didn’t shake the love for his birthplace’s Steelers and Pirates though. Legendary tales allude to Marc’s daily creed mirroring Pittsburgh’s “black and gold never fold.”
While his heart doesn’t sway when it comes to professional football and baseball, Marc does embrace his home state’s teams, with a special fondness for the Bobcats from his alma mater, Quinnipiac University.
Primed to chat sports with anyone who’s game, we know that Marc has a remarkable ability to treat everyone as if he’s known you for a lifetime. He currently resides in Berlin, with his wife, Patty, son, Matt, and new puppy, Guinness. Marc’s daughter, Megan, lives in New York City, but travels home often, and the Austins enjoy their special family time together.
Marc began his career as a financial advisor at CIGNA Financial Advisors (later known as Sagemark Consulting) in 1989. Marc exudes humility, but we’re proud to promote that Marc is both a Certified Professional Accountant (CPA since 1987) and a Certified Financial Planner (CFP® since 1993), a rare and dynamic combination of accomplishments and talents. Since joining PCG in 2004, Marc has shared his vast experience and knowledge in how to engage with clients, listen and zone in on client-specific financial goals, construct and design specialized investment, estate, retirement and tax plans, and help clients achieve and exceed objectives and expectations. On top of it all, Marc is an active member of the Connecticut Society of CPAs (CTCPA) and the Estate and Business Planning Council of Hartford (EBPC Hartford).
While Marc considers himself fortunate to have a career enveloped by people with whom he has the opportunity to engage and work that’s rewarding, he relishes the joy sport and competition bring. Name a sport, and Marc will be all in. Current favorites include playing golf, basketball and baseball. And if he’s not at the gym or engaged in some athletic activity, you’ll find him watching a sporting event, a pastime he enjoys sharing with Megan, his daughter. Here’s a fun fact - Marc has attended at least one game of every major sports championship - the Super Bowl, World Series, NBA Championship and NHL Championship. For good measure, has also attended the NCAA College Basketball Championship. Before the pandemic hit, Marc estimates that he attended 50-60 sporting events each year. Do the math – that’s at least one per week! Marc also regularly frequents UConn football and basketball and Quinnipiac basketball and hockey games. If you see him in the stands, be sure to say, “Hello!” – he’ll be the one donning the face paint. 😉
Aside from working on his jump shot or golf swing, Marc enjoys attending concerts and reading. Marc has attended more than 200 concerts, notably Bruce Springsteen, The Rolling Stones and Billy Joel. An avid reader, Marc dives into the works of John Grisham and Malcolm Gladwell and is always on the hunt for his next exciting adventure on pages. You’re welcome to send him an email with suggestions!
If you would like to learn more about Marc, challenge him to a game of H-O-R-S-E, or invite him to a concert or sporting event, please give him a call or send him an email. He’d be thrilled to connect.
For more interesting info about Marc, check out his quick-fire questions and answers below.
- First and last name: Marc Austin
- Nickname: Captain
- Job Title: Wealth Advisor
- Birthplace: Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Hometown: Newington, Conn.
- City and state you currently live in: Berlin, Conn.
- College: Quinnipiac University
- Family: wife, Patty; daughter, Megan; son, Matt
Expertise and Work Experience
- Professional expertise/specialization: Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and Certified Financial Planner (CFP®)
- What did you do before working at PCG: CIGNA Financial Advisors/Sagemark Consulting
- Favorite part about working with PCG clients: Helping my clients solve and meet their financial objectives.
- Why do you enjoy working at PCG: I enjoy working with my talented colleagues and, of course, with my clients, who give meaning to my work.
- Professional memberships: Connecticut Society for CPAs (CTCPA), The Estate and Business Planning Council of Hartford (EBPC Hartford)
- Designations/certifications: CPA and CFP®
Charitable Endeavors and Involvement
- Quinnipiac University Athletics – I am driven by my love of sports and I fully support my alma mater – go, Bobcats!
- Lupus Foundation of America – a charity dear to my family and me; my wife, Patty, has been fighting lupus for 25 years.
Personality and Other
- New hobby or activity during stay-at-home: Cooking
- Favorite type of music: Classic Rock, especially Bruce Springsteen - saw him live more than 35 times
- What has COVID-19 made you appreciate most: My health
- Favorite book: Any John Grisham and Malcom Gladwell book
- Favorite sports team: Pittsburgh Steelers and Pittsburgh Pirates
- Favorite activity/hobby outside the office: Golf, basketball and working out
- Dogs or Cats: Dogs - I have a puppy Goldendoodle, lovingly named, Guinness
- First job: Baking doughnuts at Dunkin’ Donuts – since then, I can’t stand the sight or taste of doughnuts!
- Dream travel destination: Australia