At Private Capital Group, we take tremendous pride in our employees and their successes. We believe it is important to showcase our group of hardworking individuals who are dedicated, committed and driven to providing our clients with the best possible service and care. In this month’s edition of PCG’s Get to Know Us Wednesday, we highlight Samantha Powers, our techno-dexterous Operations Manager.
Born and raised in Long Island, N.Y., Sam attended the State University of New York at Albany, becoming the first in her family to graduate from college. She and her husband, Steven, settled in nearby Troy, and Sam served as Marketing Coordinator for a large law firm. A draw to family was tugging at the newlyweds’ hearts and they decided to move halfway between Sam’s family in Long Island and Steven’s family in Albany. That maps out to Torrington, Conn., the buzzing neighborhood-riddled town they now call home they share with their energetic son, Jack, who was the standout in Private Capital Group’s special messaging video during the early days of the pandemic.
Jack, Samantha and Donald Duck (Steven not pictured)
A new city meant a new job for Sam who joined PCG as a Client Service Associate specializing in technology and training in 2016. The rest is history as she continuously demonstrates her know-how to keep PCG cutting edge in terms of technological advances and operations evolving and running efficiently.
“When Steven and I moved to Connecticut, we did not know anyone. We took a leap with our move and my new job, learning immediately that special people comprised the team at PCG,” Sam recalled.
Soon after her new beginning, Sam remembers attending her first PCG holiday party and remarking fondly, “I felt fortunate to earn a job with people, my new coworkers, so close and welcoming.”
The feeling is mutual. Sam is instrumental to the inner workings of PCG and in five years has helped to create and deliver trainings for all departments, including service and human resources, resolve technological issues and spearhead projects. She has grown her role to become our resident “behind the scenes” master, whose practices and tireless work benefits both our PCG team and our clients.
As a true Long-Islander, Sam is a die-hard New York Jets fan and believes brighter days are ahead for the “Gang Green.” Samantha loves to read, listen to music, especially by the Beatles and standards by Frank Sinatra, and spend as much of her free time with her husband and three-year-old son. Sam is also a proud and active volunteer for the American Cancer Society.
Private Capital Group is grateful for Sam’s steadfast and unwavering dedication. We cannot wait to see what the future has in store for her both at PCG and beyond. We hope you can meet Samantha in person and learn a little more about her story when we are able to welcome you back in the office.
If you would like to learn more about Sam, please check out her quick-fire questions and answers.
First and last name: Samantha Powers
Job title: Operations Manager
Hometown: Selden, N.Y., on Long Island
City and state you currently live: Torrington, Conn.
Education: State University of New York at Albany
Family: Husband, Steven, and son, Jack
Expertise and Work Experience
- Professional expertise/specialization: Operations and technology
- What did you do before working at PCG? Marketing coordinator at a large law firm in Albany, N.Y.
- Favorite part about working with PCG clients: I love meeting everyone at the annual client appreciation events and I hope these events resume soon!
- Why do you enjoy working at PCG? I love working for a company that truly cares about you as a person, not just an employee. I have a wonderful, supportive manager (shout-out to Julie!) with whom I very much enjoy working.
- Most fond memory while working at PCG: I will never forget my very first holiday party at PCG. The party was a short time after I started and I remember feeling as if I were at a family gathering!
- All designations/certifications: Connecticut Notary Public
- Proudest accomplishment: I am the first person in my family to graduate from college.
Charity and Organizational Involvement
- Charity name: American Cancer Society
- Level of involvement: Volunteer
- Why is this charity/organization important to you? My grandmother and both grandfathers passed away from cancer.
Personality and Other
- Biggest fear: Forgetting to lock the door. Seems silly but I worry about it every time I leave the house, which is not often nowadays – thank goodness!
- New hobby or activity during stay-at-home: I love to read and I recently took up embroidery.
- Favorite type of music: Old school – Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, The Four Seasons, Ella Fitzgerald, Ray Charles, etc., and the genre-transcending Beatles.
- What has COVID-19 made you appreciate most? My family - I love being home with my son and husband, even if it is chaotic at times!
- Favorite book: Mindhunter by John E. Douglas and Mark Olshaker
- Favorite sports team: J! E! T! S! Jets! Jets! Jets!
- Favorite activity/hobby outside the office: Anything true crime – books, podcasts, documentaries. I also love the beach!
- Dogs or cats: Dogs and cats that act like dogs
- First job: Ice cream shop in Port Jefferson, N.Y.
- Dream travel destination: I would love to take my father to Italy one day.
- LinkedIn: Samantha Powers
- Email (if wanting to share): email@example.com
In 15 years, I was the first team member at PCG to go on maternity leave when my son, Jack, was born. When my leave ended, Ben and the leadership team offered a work-from-home schedule to me, allowing me to stay at home with my son while completing my work. I am and always will be grateful to PCG for that gift.